Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Lunes de lenguaje!

It'ssss that time again!!! LUNES DE LENGUAJE!! (a little late because my sister was here visiting and I'm just getting around to my blog now!). 

Boy, I have learned a monton of new phrases and vocab in the past week.  

Here is a peek at some of the best ones:

Frases:
apetecer = to feel like 
Voy al cine esta noche si te apetece venir! 
--> "I'm going to the movies tonight if you feel like coming!"

ir de sujeta velas = literally: "to go as the candle holder" --> our phrase in English is "to be the third wheel"
Te vienes de viaje con mi novio y conmigo? --No, no quiero ir de sujeta velas.
--> "Do you want to travel with me and my boyfriend? --No, I don't want to be the candle holder [the third wheel]."

quedarse en piedra = to freeze (literally: to remain as stone)
Cuando yo vi a los actores famosos, me quede en piedra!
--> "When I saw the famous actors, I froze!"

estar como una cabra = to be absolutely nuts!!! (literally: "to be like a goat") 
El gato esta como una cabra por la noche!!
--> "The cat is nuts during the night!!"

hacer pellas = to skip school/to play hooky
El chico siempre esta haciendo pellas para ir al cine!
--> "The boy is always playing hooky to go to the movies!"

ser la leche = "it's da bomb!" (to be the best, super awesome, etc.) (literally: "to be the milk")
Eres la leche!! Gracias por una noche divertida en la discoteca!
--> "You are the best! Thanks for a fun night in the club."

Vocabulario:
la butaca = the theater seat
Cuando compre la entrada para el concierto, tuve que elegir mi butaca preferida.
--> "When I bought the concert ticket, I had to choose my preferred seat."

currar = to work
Estoy en la oficina currando.
--> "I am in the office working."

majo/maja = nice/friendly
Todos los madrilenos son muy majos.
--> "All of the people from Madrid are very nice."

el becario = the internship
Mi amigo tiene becario este verano. Va a trabajar en una empresa nueva.
--> "My friend has an internship this summer.  He is going to work in a new business."

casero/casera = homemade
Solamente come las croquetas de jamon si son caseras! Son mejores asi.
--> "Only eat the ham croquettes if they are homemade! They are better that way."

cotillear = to gossip/to chitchat
Cuando mis amigas y yo salimos, siempre cotilleamos. 
--> "When my friends and I go out, we always gossip."

No comments:

Post a Comment